Thursday, May 1, 2014

NYR 4-30-14

Today was writing class day.  Otherwise known as the day of dread because my writing was going to get critiqued by the class.

Three people went ahead of me in getting their essays critiqued.  Let's just say I take the approach of being the nice judge on American Idol who always wants to find the positive in everything.  My classmates do not take the same approach.  They take the gloves off and take a swing or two.

I was terrified by the time my turn came around, but guess what?  They didn't crucify me!  They had lines they didn't like and made valid suggestions for improvement, but they had many lines they loved, they found the humor in it that I'd hoped they'd find and they weren't overly critical like they were with some of the essays.  Trust me when I say I can spot "overly critical" from a hundred yards away.

I sort of feel like Sally Field when she won her Oscar.  "You like me.  You really like me."

For a big sigh of relief and the feeling that I can continue writing for at least another week, I am truly thankful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

See! I knew they'd recognize literary genius when they saw it!