Saturday, June 8, 2013

Quick little catch-up before I go off the grid

Last night Jimmy and I were honored by Colombian friends who hosted a really fabulous going-away party. These parties are always sort of like attending your own funeral:  you get to see who shows up and what they have to say about you.  I would like for all the people there last night to come to my real funeral. They are so much fun, they're funny, they're interested and interesting, and they've made our lives pretty amazing here in the BOG both on the professional and personal fronts. Pictures will be forthcoming next week.

In preparation for the party, yesterday afternoon I went to get my hair blown out and to get a manicure. (When in Rome and all...) These two treats at my salon set me back 27,000 pesos, which is about $14 USD.  I wonder where in the greater Washington, DC area I can find a nice place that does blow-outs and manis for $14???  How does "nowhere" sound?  The good news is that my beloved hairdresser here and his partner are planning to visit Washington, DC in September to see his partner's niece. I asked and he confirmed that he always travels with scissors.  It's going to be reminiscent of my mother clipping my bangs on the back steps before first grade graduation, but I'm all about a kitchen haircut with Giovanni in September.

Today we leave for the Amazon and I've decided to go totally off the grid. I'm not taking my iPad so no emailing, People.com check-ups, blog stalking, or Facebook status checks until Tuesday when we get back. Can I do this?  I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.  And if I can't, maybe our little hotel out in the middle of nowhere on the river has a business center?  I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.  May the force be with me.

Hasta el Martes!







No comments: