Sunday, August 21, 2011

NYR 7-24 through 7-29 - a week in the cool mountains


7-24: We arrived in Maggie Valley, NC at Jimmy’s mom’s vacation place and knew the first thing we wanted to do on our first day there was go tubing in Deep Creek. My family used to go tubing there when we were little and I knew Mac would love it as much as I did. And I wasn’t wrong!
For passing on some of my treasured childhood memories to my child, I am truly thankful.

7-25: Today Jimmy, Mac and I went with Jimmy’s stepfather to Cataloochee Valley which is one of the most beautiful, peaceful places I’ve ever seen in the United States.
The valley was populated over 100 years ago and now is just a lovely protected piece of history and beauty. We saw an elk, lots of turkeys, and some butterflies as well as some houses, barns, church, and school from the original settlement. For a chance to live for a few hours that “Little House on the Prairie” lifestyle that I always wanted as a child, I am truly thankful.

7-26: After my catastrophic rafting experience in Colombia over the Memorial Day weekend, I have sworn off whitewater rafting for awhile longer or maybe forever. But Jimmy and Mac went to raft the Nantahala today with Jimmy’s nieces. They had a ball and assured me I could have done it in my sleep but I much preferred drinking my strawberry smoothie and reading a book, both of which caused no panic attacks like the rafting probably would have!
For my boys having a great time on the river, I am truly thankful.

7-27: Jimmy, Mac and I went on an amazing hike on the Blue Ridge Parkway today. Beautiful stream with waterfalls and a natural swimming hole, fresh air and good exercise. For that, I am truly thankful.

We also went into Cherokee for the evening. The major objective was to see “Unto These Hills”, an outdoor production that’s been going on for 60+ years to chronicle the history of the Cherokee Indians, particularly around the time of the Trail of Tears. But because it’s the touristy town of Cherokee and there are a million ways to part you from your money, Jimmy and Mac went gem mining. I’m still waiting for all those rubies and sapphires and emeralds to be made into something to adorn my ears and fingers…

7-28: Today we took a final trip to Deep Creek which didn’t end so well for one of Jimmy’s nieces who ended up at the hospital with a big toe broken in four places. Jimmy, Mac and I enjoyed ourselves immensely. For another afternoon on a brilliant day in the cool water, I am truly thankful.

7-29: For a send-off breakfast of blueberry pancakes at Joey’s Pancake House, which was one of my dad’s favorite restaurants in the mountains, I am truly thankful.

No comments: