Thursday, August 18, 2011

Letters from me

Dear Blog: I have neglected you and I am terribly sorry. There's just so much from the summer for which I am thankful for my new year's resolution of an "attitude of gratitude". I promise to catch up on 5 weeks (!) really soon. Love, ME

Dear South Carolina Drivers: You may be the most inconsiderate and poor lot of drivers that I have ever seen. Do you not realize that you are driving tons of heavy metal that cannot stop on a dime when you're riding my back bumper and I have to stop for whatever reason but you're not paying attention because you're too busy looking down at your text messages? And the driver of that car that came to a screeching stop this morning before running a red light and barreling into my car? THANKS A LOT. Drive the speed limit in the 35 mph zone, pay attention, and maybe you'd see the light before you're going under it. Oh, and although I have a different rental car now and no longer am driving the one with a license plate from New York, I get it that you don't like cars from NY and by association, their drivers. I know you think I'm "from off", but I'd go toe to toe with you in a battle to see whose family tree roots run deepest in South Carolina dirt. So stop looking at every driver in a car with plates "from off" like they're the devil incarnate and stop waving your hands around in the car behind me to try and speed me along. On principle, and to teach you bad drivers a lesson, I'm now a devotee of driving the speed limit. Love, Me

Dear Sweat Glands: Wow, have you worked hard this summer. After nearly a year in Bogota where the temperature is usually a cool 65 with no humidity, you'd gotten out of practice of doing your job. And then I dropped you into a sticky, sweaty inferno with record-breaking temps that went on for record-breaking lengths of time. I think you have rid my body in 7 weeks of everything that it's been harboring from your lack of use over the last 11 months. Thank you. I'm leaving the sticky, sweaty inferno tomorrow for perennial spring, so you can go back into hibernation. Your service has been greatly appreciated. Love, Me

Dear Bogota: I am ready to go home. Vacation has been tons of fun but it's hard to be in vacation mode for 7 weeks. I know you don't believe me, but it's true. Try it. I'm looking forward to normalcy and routines and cooking dinner and tennis class. See you tomorrow night. Love, Me

No comments: