Wednesday, March 16, 2011

NYR 3-15-11 - saying goodbye to contacts forever?

I took the first step in a process for a procedure that I said I'd never ever do. I had my first consultation for Lasik surgery.

GULP.

Ever since that school nurse in the 5th grade made us take an eye exam and I was sent home with a note "to the parents of Susan West" that said I couldn't see, I've had a love/hate relationship with Dr. Price of Summerville ophthalmic notoriety. I've loved him through nearly 30 years (literally 30 years as he's still my ophthalmologist although I think he's getting ready to retire) of helping me see better, but I've hated (okay, strongly disliked) my visits to see him.

My eyesight has been pretty stable for most of my adult years and I've used contacts with little problem for the last 27 years. If I don't have my contacts in or glasses on, I can still see well enough maybe to drive a car although it would be blurry and I'd be a nervous wreck and would probably drive 14 mph the whole time. The whole point is that my eyes aren't that bad and I have a lot to lose in the eyesight department should something go catastrophically wrong in the surgery.

So I never considered Lasik.

Until I met the sister of a friend who came from the US just to have the surgery. She had the procedure done on a Friday and was playing tennis with me on Tuesday. No contacts, no glasses, no red laser-ed up eyes. Just playing tennis on a sunny day.

So I inquired into the procedure here because tons of people have it while they're posted here for a fraction of the cost that you'd pay for the same surgery in the US.

I started imagining myself swimming without worrying about water getting in my eyes or being able to read the alarm clock in the night without squinting. Or having a full-size bottle of contact lens solution that's clearly over the FAA-allowed 3 oz size confiscated from my carry-on bag when I fly. Or so that I don't lose another bottle of contact lens solution, having to remember to put some solution in the contact lens case so that, for instance, on an overnight flight to Brazil, I can take my contacts out while I sleep.

It all sounded like heaven.

So before I lost my nerve, I called the eye doctor's office on Monday afternoon at 5:20pm. I really thought nobody would answer and I might forget to call later. But lo and behold, the ever-competent Martha answered and said they'd had a cancellation for 7:45 the next morning and why didn't I come then?

Well Martha, I can think of a thousand reasons, but I doubt you'll buy any of them so yes, I'll be there at 7:45am.

The doctor's office is in a medical complex a mere 7 (long) blocks from my apartment so I didn't need to leave to walk there until about 7:15 and that gave me more than enough time.

What one should not do at 7am on the day of their consultation when they're leaving in 15 minutes is go to the FDA website on Lasik surgery. After reading about the cornea being cut open and flipped back and tissue being dried off and the calibrated laser zapping the cornea, I was ready to vomit. By the time I walked the 7 blocks, I was seriously nauseous, probably very pale, and was sweating like I'd sprinted there instead of leisurely strolled.

The very nice Martha saw me into the examination room, which looked very much like Dr. Price's examination room (except it is Colombia so there was a vase of fresh flowers). While I was waiting for the doctor to come in, I had time to quickly study his diplomas on the wall. He graduated from Emory University which pleased me and he's a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmologists (or whatever it's called). So he was credible and not some quack trying to get my money.

The doctor is very nice and instills great confidence. I told him I wasn't sure about this at all and he kept telling me that it's "just an option" to consider. No pressure. The exam was fine - I found out I have great eye lubrication (you can't have the surgery if you have dry eyes) and "beautiful" corneas. Based on the initial assessment, he thinks I'd be a good candidate for Lasik should I choose this "option".

I have been wearing my glasses since after the appointment yesterday in preparation for my big cornea evaluation which is tomorrow afternoon. If I pass that evaluation, then I just need to make the appointment.

The surgery is less than 5 minutes per eye, and he assured me the worst that can happen is that I'll still need contacts after it's over. Right. What about if he loses control of the laser and burns a hole in my cornea? Has he given that any thought?

In the last 8 years, this doctor has done Lasik on some 500 US Embassy personnel and countless other people, and he's never had any problems. I hate to be the naysayer, but there's always a first and I don't want to be the first. Haven't you seen the commercials for medicine on tv? It works great for most people, but too bad, so sad if you're the one who dies from the medicine that you were taking for your allergies.

The FDA website says this surgery is NOT for you if you're not a risk-taker. I am so not a risk-taker, but what I wouldn't give to swim in Brazil next month without contacts. Or to sit on the beach and not worry about sand blowing in my contact.

I think I'm going to do it. And I think I'm going to do it two weeks from tomorrow.

GULP. GULP.

For the very idea that I could be contact- and glass-free in time for my 40th birthday, I am truly thankful.

1 comment:

Heidi A said...

Mine have been great for 8 yrs, but Kevin has no interest in doing it. It really is just 2-3 days recovery at most.