Thursday, March 10, 2011

NYR 3-10-11 - Mac and his newfound love of the hairdryer

From the time Mac was about 3, his visits to the barber shop/salon have involved no other words except "use the #3 all over, please". Then he got a little older and realized he could make decisions about his hairstyle and that he didn't have to have a shaved head all the time. So for the last couple years, he's gone through periods of letting his hair grow out, getting tired of it, and going back to the #3.

Over the Christmas break, he let it grow out, but I insisted he needed to get it cleaned up a little before our trip to the Dominican Republic. We went to the salon at the embassy where the hairdresser absolutely butchered his sweet mop of hair. Mac got very upset and I decided I wouldn't say another word about his hair.

The hair grew back out and he's got a little Bieber Fever thing going on. For a few nights now, he's told me that he needed the back trimmed up a little and I offered to do it. I have years of experience of small trims and knew I could do this minor job. So last night he stood in the shower and I trimmed it up and then I suggested that we blowdry his hair out.

Well this is probably the one and only time in my life as a parent of a very boyish boy that I'll know the pleasure of having a little girl.

He LOVED having his hair blown out. It looked VERY Bieber-esque and he was thrilled with the look. (And for the record, Jimmy was not impressed by any of this while it was going on, but he humored me and didn't say anything.)

Too bad the finished look doesn't survive a night in the bed. Mac most certainly did not have a Bieber thing going on this morning. It was more of an "Ozzy Osbourne after a long night" look complete with grumpy attitude and all.

Tonight Mac got a little pep in his step going to the shower when I reminded him that we'd blowdry his hair if he hurried up and took his shower. And since Jimmy's not home, I might even put a little "product" in Mac's hair to see how it does!

Bieber Fever lives!

No comments: