Sunday, March 13, 2011

NYR 3-11-11 - a good steak can cure what ails you

As you know, we were supposed to have our anniversary dinner out at a restaurant of my choosing and I chose a restaurant that is known for its great steaks. But we ended up eating hot dogs because Jimmy was sick.

Then we sponsored a new State Department couple that arrived on Thursday night and we arranged for a group dinner out at a French bistro that serves wonderful steaks.

Except that when I called on Thurday morning for a Friday night reservation, they said they couldn't accommodate our group of 12 people on a Friday night.

WHAT?

Why was the universe against my desire for a good steak?

I ended up making a reservation at Club Colombia, which is a lovely restaurant a couple blocks from our apartment that serves traditional and nouveau Colombian food. I didn't want traditional or nouveau anything - I just wanted a steak.
(a tiny little picture of Club Colombia, which appears to be a lovely old converted hacienda)

I was sooooo not disappointed. I ordered a beef tenderloin with these wonderful caramelized onions and a side salad of avocado, tomatoes and onions in a light vinaigrette. I am already dreaming of my return for a repeat performance.

For a great steak, cooked perfectly, that totally hit the spot, I am deeply grateful.

No comments: