Friday, March 4, 2011

my wake-up song

We have Direct TV out of Puerto Rico and while we get a lot of Caribbean weather reports by a man in a Hawaiian shirt with a fake parrot on his shoulder and a lot of commercials for drugstores in places like the Cayman Islands, the early morning news is from the network affiliates in New York City.

Every morning since the Discovery Space Shuttle launched, the NBC affiliate plays a little clip of the song that NASA plays to wake up the astronauts who are currently docked with the International Space Station. NASA actually held a voting contest and I guess the top songs are being played during the mission. The winning songs include such hits as "Blue Sky" by Big Head Todd, the Star Trek Theme Song, "Magic Carpet Ride" by Steppenwolf, "Countdown" by Rush, "Over the Rainbow" by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole.

As I've heard the news of the wake-up song and actually seen the footage of the astronauts stirring to the music, I started thinking that it might be nice to have my own wake-up music other than that awful, harsh beeping of two alarm clocks. (We obsessive-compulsive Type A personalities always set 2 alarm clocks in case the batteries die in one overnight.)

So then I thought "what could be my inspirational, get-up and get-moving music playlist?" I googled "theme music for housewives" and do you want to know what I got?

1. Desperate Housewives Theme Song
2. The Real Housewives of Atlanta Theme Song
3. The Real Housewives of New Jersey Theme Song

I took out the "theme" and just googled "music for housewives" and got a hit for the "Music for Lonely Housewives" CD and "Music for Desperate Housewives" CD.

Then I saw a top 10 list of "songs for housewives" that was just created in late January. You want to know the list (as copied exactly by one "dunmurry" on About.com? Prepare to be depressed:

10 The B-52´s - Housework
9 Lady Madonna - Beatles
8 Leiber and Stoller's "I'm A Woman"
7 Help me- Sonny Boy Williamson II.
6 Shake Rattle And Roll - Loved Ones / Bill Haley
5 Dust My Broom - Renee Geyer / Elmore James
4 Stan Rogers - Lies
3 My Little Town - Paul Simon ['....hanging out shirts in the dirty breeze'
2 Semi Detached Suburban Mr James - Mannfred Mann['.....hanging things upon the line as your life slips away .....'
1 Dreams Of The Everyday Housewife - Wayne Newton [best version IMO :)]

The astronauts get "Over the Rainbow" and I get "Dust My Broom"???? Are you kidding me?

I'm just sticking to the beeping alarm clock.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Oh Susan you never fail to make me laugh! Thanks for your humor in the face of craziness...it helps me make it through the chaos of my day! :)

The Shearers miss The Storys!