Sunday, October 31, 2010

Part 3 of the Halloween that will not end

Everybody from my Spanish teacher to the embassy drivers to taxi drivers told me that the thing to do with children on Halloween in Bogota is to go trick-or-treating at the big shopping malls. I can't quite make out whether this stems from when Bogota was going through its unsafe period or whether it's because there are creepy people everywhere who stick razor blades in Halloween candy.

Regardless, we chose a humongous mall to take Mac to this afternoon and Lord, have sweet mercy on me, I can check that box off on the list of cultural things not to be missed in Bogota. Fortunately Jimmy had use of the office driver and he was able to maneuver his way up close to drop us off. He said the parking lot is meant to hold 4000 cars and it was overflowing with a line of cars around the block to get in.

Crowds outside the mall


Crowds inside the mall

C.R.A.Z.Y.

Imagine shopping on Black Thursday. Now imagine shopping on Black Thursday with people - entire families - in Halloween costumes. That's Gran Estacion on Halloween. And we were told it would only get worse as the afternoon progressed because tomorrow's a holiday so no school or work for most people.

I'd like to leave you with some photos of the grand event at Gran Estacion. These will (hopefully) be the only Halloween mall photos you ever see from me as I don't ever intend to attend such an event again.

Not your average shopkeeper


Just your ordinary Colombian family out for a Sunday afternoon stroll

a very cool Mr. Potato Head

the cutest, littlest Woody and Jessie ever

This guy got his shirt from Wal-Mart - the children loved it!

mall trick-or-treating with some friends from the embassy











P.S. The only way I'll go back next year is if we - Jimmy, Mac and I - go with a theme and we all dress up in costumes for the theme, like we saw entire families dressed today. For instance, we could be like the family of butterflies that I saw today or the pirate family. You get the picture. I'm checking the online Halloween costume sales tomorrow, just so you know.

P.P.S. I am so glad Halloween is OVER. Nothing made me happier than removing that hideous orange plastic tablecloth off the dining room table that's been on there for weeks to add to the ambience of our home. I never really have ever felt this way, but I cannot wait to put up the Christmas tree. Is it too early to do that on November 1??

2 comments:

Jen said...

I was ready to pull down our Halloween decorations last week. We put them out early this year b/c Noah had a Halloween themed birthday party earlier this month.

I'm wanting to put up my tree too...we are moving in December so I feel like I need it up now so that I can enjoy it.

The earliest we ever put up a tree was on Veteran's day (11 Nov)...that was all Bobby's doing. If it were up to him the tree would go up after 4th of July.

Familie Lewis said...

Moved the living room furniture around today in preparation for the Christmas tree. I figure if it is going to snow it must be time for Christmas.