Saturday, October 23, 2010

after all my smack talking...

Ruth called this morning at 8:30 to check on Mac because she was so worried about him. I told her that the fever and the headache had completely disappeared (and never came back all day), but I couldn't come up with the right word for "throat" to tell her that he still had a sore throat. I asked her to hold on for a minute while I used the ever handy Google Translate, but she thought I meant I had to get off the phone right then and she hung up. I looked up sore throat online, and tried to call her back but her cell phone went straight to voice mail. I left her a message to tell her that he had a sore throat and asked if she had any recommendations for clearing that up.

Well I never heard from her, which I thought was odd, if only because it's so unlike her. But cell phone batteries die, people leave the phones at home, etc. And it wasn't her day to work here anyway, so the fact that she even called this morning impressed me.

And then at 4:30 this afternoon, the doorman called to tell me that Ruth was here and was on her way up. She'd been babysitting three children all day somewhere close to here and she'd gotten my message so she wanted to come see for herself how Mac was.

Is she the sweetest lady ever or what?

She was concerned that he needed antibiotics (apparently it's okay to take prescription meds but not over-the-counter meds), but I told her that I thought it was this virus that was going around his school and everybody says it ends in 3 days so we should be near the end. I had to tell her what he'd eaten and drunk today so she was satisfied that it wasn't too sore.

She went upstairs to visit with him and see for herself that I hadn't killed him with neglect. I could hear them chatting away, him in English and her in Spanish. I have no idea if they understood each other but they were getting along as usual like old friends.

I love this lady.

1 comment:

Familie Lewis said...

Google translate is my best friend. Glad to hear that Mac is better.