Friday, December 18, 2009

we have arrived

After a much-anticipated battle with the Delta agent over overweight luggage (I knew we were overweight and wanted to pay the 3rd bag charge of $50 without having to actually move 13 pounds of goods into the 3rd bag and she said no. To which I said, "this makes no sense at all. Doesn't Delta want to save the space taken up by the 3rd suitcase?" To which she responded and I quote, "Delta isn't concerned with space, they only want to make money." To which I stalked off to the car, leaving my 7 year-old boy in the airport guarding 113 pounds of suitcases plus 2 carry-ons plus 2 backpacks. He was playing with his DSi so anybody could have hauled off all our worldly possessions and he probably wouldn't have noticed.

But I digress.

We have arrived in London. And we were met by Jimmy at Heathrow who, as his first Christmas present to us, shaved off his Grizzly Adams beard. Wow, what a treat. He says it was a Christmas gift to us, but you and I know it's a Christmas present for himself because he gets more kisses from his favorite people (that's us) when he's sans Grizzly Adams beard.

Then our second Christmas present was splurging on a cab to haul us and all our worldly possessions back to the Maynard's house, where we're staying for a few nights, instead of taking the bus and then a shorter cab. Riding in a black London cab seems so civilized.

Then our third Christmas present was getting to catch up in person with the Maynards, who we know from Brasilia days. The Maynards are some of the funniest people I know and it was a fun evening of seeing them in person instead of talking via Vonage or Facebook.

Our fourth Christmas present came in the form of snow last night. Oh my goodness. Georgia, the Maynard's oldest daughter, came flying down the stairs and yelled that it was snowing. Well we acted like a bunch of South Carolinians do at the first flake spotting. We all ran outside, without proper clothing on. Mac had so much fun. They threw snowballs and made merry. Not surprisingly, we were the only people out on the street at 9pm in the snow. I guess people accustomed to snow know it's just more of the same. We, however, had to make hay while the sun was shining, so to speak.

Today, Mac, Jimmy and I went to the London Dungeon, which is scary as all get-out. It's listed as a good kid's attraction, which I imagine it would be if your child likes haunted houses and blood and guts and things of that nature. I was scared to death. We have a very good photo that I will post later but it shows the fear and angst and horror that we all felt by the end. After it was over, Mac declared it the most fun ever. I define "fun" otherwise. But I'm trying to play my cards right so that this will "earn" me a shopping trip or high tea somewhere.

Afterwards we went to the Burroughs Market which was delightful and delicious and fun, until we all got so cold that all we wanted to do was come back home and get warm. So now Jimmy and Mac are playing the Wii, and I'm typing. Sort of a normal winter's afternoon scene. And just what we wanted for this vacation.

More to come...

No comments: