Tuesday, December 8, 2009

from Macy's to Moncks Corner in one short week

Before I go further into this post, let me tell you that I'm not picking on Moncks Corner. Jimmy and I are proud of being from Moncks Corner, we have never ignored our background, and we always tell people we're from Moncks Corner (even the Secretary of State as noted a few weeks earlier).

On Sunday afternoon, I took Mac to the Moncks Corner Christmas parade. He has never been to a local hometown Christmas parade (or any Christmas parade for that matter) and as this was something from our childhood, I thought it necessary to share this with him.

I haven't been to the parade in the 20 years since I graduated from high school and it's entirely possible that I haven't been in longer than that. I can't remember my last Moncks Corner Christmas parade.

Mac had a marvelous time. He had pocketsful of candy by the time the parade ended, and he loved the floats; seeing the newly crowned state high school football champions (the Berkeley Stags for those of you not in the know); the fire trucks from every little community in the county, all blaring sirens; Santa Claus; all the Boy Scouts and little league football and baseball teams; etc.

Perhaps if we hadn't just watched the iconic Macy's Thanksgiving parade in NYC the week before, it wouldn't have been so funny to me. In case you didn't know (or guess!), there's a big difference between the Macy's parade and the Moncks Corner parade!

Our viewing party in the Subway parking lot (Mac and I went to my mom's church on Sunday morning - to make it a full Moncks Corner sort of day - and I got a great tip there to park in the Subway parking lot. It's near the start of the parade, so you can get out faster afterwards, but you have to get there early to get a good spot!).

the state champion BHS football team "float", courtesy of the local electricity coop


they have it all from karate experts to cloggers




a heating and air conditioning company's float. Can you see the smoke coming up near the back of the trailer? That's from a firepit they had right on the trailer. This is funny to me on a number of different levels.

the little-known caped Subway crusader


one of several vehicles from this hillbilly group.


See this line of fire trucks? This would have been an arsonist's dream day. He could have set fires all over the county because all the trucks were in the Moncks Corner Christmas parade. Now imagine the sirens on each of these trucks all blaring. Horrible.


And finally, Santa, with that darling boy Mac waving at him

At the corn maze, we're always looking for new marketing strategies. I have decided we should have a corn maze float next year. The timing is off (unless they move the Christmas parade to September), but never mind. We could use a hay ride trailer and decorate it with the winning scarecrows from Scarecrow Alley that we dress up with Santa hats and scarves. And we could crown a Miss Corn Maze 2010 and sit her on a hay bale (maybe with a live fire going) and let her wave at the crowd and throw candy at them. There were antique tractors in the parade, so we could even pull the hay ride tractor with a real tractor for an authentic experience. I think it's brilliant and we could hit all the area parades as they're all on different weekends. Look for us next year coming to a parade near you!

1 comment:

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

Would you believe that we've lived here 24 years and have never been to a Christmas parade OR a 4th of July parade. I guess we're just not community supporters. OH...Anna Claire volunteers to be Miss Corn Maze. I'd go to next year's parade to see that!!