Saturday, May 9, 2009

the long goodbye is over

Mac and I have just returned from taking Jimmy to the airport for his trip back to the US. He'll do various training courses from now through the end of June when we meet back up. Then we'll have the month of July together before he takes off for Afghanistan.

I have wondered how Mac was processing this idea of separation from Jimmy. We've been very upfront about how long Jimmy will be away and how often and where we'll see him throughout his Afghanistan tour, but I'm not sure whether the idea of duration is fixed in a 6 year-old's brain.

Mac was clingy to Jimmy at the airport, but he's also feeling under the weather so I was hoping the clinginess was more sickness than upset over Jimmy leaving. After we said goodbye to Jimmy and were walking back to the car, Mac said in a sad, little voice, "this isn't like before". I asked him what he meant and he said "this isn't like Daddy's work trips before. He's going away for a whole year this time." My heart broke for his little self. Now I have to find my "Super Mom" hat (probably the t-shirt too) to try and make this all good for him.

No comments: