Friday, February 6, 2009

my feelings are hurt

This week has been very, very long and very, very stressful for a number of reasons. So this morning I got my feelings hurt when I checked my email and found the following message:

"Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "a list of life to-do's":

6, 43 and 60 are easily done and really good for the soul."


I know this should be like water off a duck's back, but I'm ticked off and my feelings are hurt because apparently Anonymous thinks I'm uncharitable. So to set the record straight:

#6 - We give a lot to charity and we have given more than we felt we could afford before. To say that out loud (or in a blog), though, sounds as if you're putting yourself in for the Mother Teresa award, so that's why I didn't put it there before.

#43 - You're right, Anonymous - buying a meal for a stranger at a restaurant is easily done and might be good for the soul. I'm sorry I haven't done it and I'm sorry that you felt you needed to point that out to me. I have paid tolls for people on toll roads if that makes it any better.

#60 - Of the last 11 years of my life, I have lived 8 of those out of the US where "soup kitchens" don't necessarily exist as they do in the US. Of the three I was in the US, for two of those I had a young baby/toddler and a husband who traveled every other week, so I was a little preoccupied with trying simply to exist without having a nervous breakdown. In my time abroad, I have done work at orphanages, women's cooperatives, hospitals, and training programs, so yes, I have put in some time at other non-soup kitchen charities. The list said soup kitchens and I haven't served soup. Forgive me.

Thank you for allowing me to vent.

7 comments:

contigo said...

Just for the record, I think you are a very generous and giving person. I am surprised by the comment but anonymous comments can be tricky. Knowing who said something sometimes helps understand intent. However, no matter the intent, you know what you do in your heart and should feel good about it!

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

Ignore it...people who leave anonymous comments like that are cowards!

Anonymous said...

Susan - why in the world would you let a complete stranger without the nerve to give a name get to you?!?!? You have done FAR more than I could ever dream of doing in my crazy, busy life!! I don't think I've travelled outside of the country in over 7 years much less live abroad for work. You're a wonderful person who is very charitable and giving. Someone is just jealous of all of your accomplishments! Did not realize the corn maze has gotten as big as it has. I want one of those shirts!!! Unfortunately, we're never down south when it is normally open. That would be so fun to take my kids to see!

Anonymous said...

Susan - why in the world would you let a complete stranger without the nerve to give a name get to you?!?!? You have done FAR more than I could ever dream of doing in my crazy, busy life!! I don't think I've travelled outside of the country in over 7 years much less live abroad for work. You're a wonderful person who is very charitable and giving. Someone is just jealous of all of your accomplishments! Did not realize the corn maze has gotten as big as it has. I want one of those shirts!!! Unfortunately, we're never down south when it is normally open. That would be so fun to take my kids to see!

Beau said...

Shake it off sista! Anonymous is nobody and know nothing!!!

Anonymous said...

Anonymous is actually a big fan of Susan, too and really enjoys reading her site. I've known Susan a long time and am also in awe of her life and enjoy even more living vicariously through her exciting travels.

I post without name because I am a teacher with students who are savvy enough to google my name so I am ever mindful of where my name appears in cyberspace. I apologize for the careful. I've sent Susan an e-mail explaing that my comment was meant without judgment whatsoever. I can see how she read it the way she did but I meant it only as, "hey, if you want to finish this cool list, here are a few easy ones to check off." I keep many checklists in the classroom and am never happier than when one list is fully checked. Giving more than one can afford doesn't always mean money, either.

Hope that helps to understand the perspective of the anonymous poster.

The Story Chronicles said...

Dear Anonymous - apology accepted. As I said, your email came in at a bad moment in a string of bad moments this week, so it just rubbed me the wrong way. I apologize for over-reacting.