Wednesday, April 23, 2014

NYR 4-21-14


Jimmy and Mac went to a Nationals game tonight with a college friend of Jimmy's.  (That modifier was unnecessary because Mac doesn't have any college friends and Jimmy and Mac likely wouldn't go alone to a ballgame with my college friend.)

I was fairly excited to have a few hours all to myself.  All I had to do was get Mac to Jimmy via Metro and return home.  If all systems were go, that could have been a 30-minute round trip. 

I rode with Mac on the Metro to Jimmy's work stop.  We made sure we got on the train at the exact door where Jimmy always gets on the train so that when we arrived at the correct Metro stop, Jimmy would be waiting at the exact spot where he always exits the train.  The plan was that Jimmy would hop on the train as I hopped off the train, and Jimmy and Mac could continue on that same train without interruption.

It worked like a charm.  Jimmy was right where he was supposed to be and we had gotten on the right car in the correct door. Mac stayed put, I hopped off, gave Jimmy a quick kiss, he hopped on, and away they went.

And thus ends the easy part of this transfer.

I joined the rush hour commuters on the other side of the track and waited for the next train going back to Virginia.  It came in 4 minutes but was so packed that a bunch of us couldn't squeeze in.

I waited another 4 minutes, jockeyed for good position and made it on the next train.  

Which broke down 2 stops into my 4-stop ride.  

Everybody was forced to exit the train and wait.  I debated walking home at this point but I didn't have the right shoes or a jacket or sunglasses so I stayed put.  After a few minutes the out-of-service train was moved from the track and another train pulled in.  Miraculously I squeezed in and got home a few minutes later, nearly an hour after Mac and I had left home. 

The boys were already at the ball park by that time and having a great time.  The weather was perfect as opposed to last week's baseball outing when we froze. 



Upon arrival

Mac never wants a photo with the Presidents so I'm not sure what bribery went into this picture

Mac and Andrew

Great seats

Jimmy ate four hot dogs, which makes me want to vomit.


Meanwhile back at the ranch, I was determined to try this foot soak that I read about on Facebook that is "guaranteed" to remove all the old dead winter skin right off your feet.  It's a mix of the gross brown Listerine, vinegar, and warm water.  

I soaked and scrubbed and scrubbed some more. My feet smelled very medicinal and hygienic and may have been softer, but there's definitely still work to be done.

For an evening alone at home while the boys were out having fun, I am truly thankful. 





No comments: