Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I have been scolded

Today I packed an extra-special lunch for Mac: he got a huge slice of chocolate cake in his lunchbox, which never happens namely because we never have chocolate cake at our house. Or any cake for that matter.

I also made the social faux pas of including a plastic fork with which to eat the cake.

As soon as I picked him up, I got an EARFUL about how embarrassing it was to open up his lunchbox to find that "baby fork" in there. Everybody made fun of him for having that baby fork and didn't I know that they have forks in the cafeteria that he can use?

He wouldn't allow me to set the record straight, so I would like to use this forum to set the record straight.

1. Yes, the fork was purchased from IKEA when he was a baby but they are technically children's utensils (and not "baby" because they're too big for a baby's mouth).

2. I tried to get rid of them in Sao Paulo, but Mac told me they were his favorites and he didn't want to part with them.

3. When he selects his own silverware for whatever reason, he chooses this plastic stuff 9 times out of 10. He always eats ice cream with the spoons from this set.

4. It looks very mod, very IKEA-ish, and not at all like babyware.

I feel better now. Thank you for listening and for understanding.

Rest assured I will never send silverware, plasticware or any other utensil in the lunchbox.

For that matter, I might not even send cake.

1 comment:

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

Honey...get used to it. The fun is just beginning. Wait until he's with friends and pretends that he doesn't know who you are!