Wednesday, November 18, 2009

this is it!

I took myself to see the Michael Jackson "This Is It" film the other day before its theater run ended.

Michael Jackson was the first big-time concert I ever attended. I was a 16 year-old exchange student in Australia and he was FAB-U-LOUS. His abilities as a performer are still memorable 22 years later. There was fire and cranes and fireworks and people dropping out of the sky. Really amazing now and even more so then.

Watching this movie made me appreciate his abilities more than ever. At the age of 50, he was every bit the performer and perfectionist he was 22 years ago.

Watching the movie also made me want to dance.

Except that I'm not a dancer. The only person who thinks I'm a great dancer is Mac.

Which made me think that maybe if I had a flashier wardrobe, I could dance better. But I'm not sure where to buy shiny, colorful pants like he wore in the film. I'm pretty sure they don't sell those at the Tanger Outlets.

And even if I had the pants, I wouldn't have the pivoting pelvic thing that he (and all his dancers for this show) had. And they definitely don't sell that at the Tanger Outlets.

Which made me realize that some people are dancers and some people are observers. And it's critical to know which one you are.

No comments: