Friday, November 13, 2009

Friday musing, part 3

4. Tomorrow we are having Mac's birthday party. It's a week early, but we needed to have it this weekend so cousins Hayley and Jackson could come before their Thanksgiving trip to their other family in Ohio. This party is really going to be fun, if I do say so myself. We're having it at the farm and will do the requisite craft project during the "gathering time", followed by a nature scavenger hunt. Then we'll break for an early supper of chili dogs, which Mac has informed me for the 400th time that he doesn't eat. To which I have replied 400 times "you are the only child in America that doesn't eat hot dogs. Tough luck." (But I'm taking peanut butter and jelly for the weirdos like him). Then we're doing a hay ride which will end at a campfire where a professional storyteller will tell stories for awhile before we make s'mores. I am super excited.

So today I was making the always-requested carrot cakes for the party. I bought new baking powder at Wal-Mart two days ago for this very occasion. I opened the canister this morning and saw white powder all over the top of the container. The aluminum seal had been taken halfway off. It begs the question of whether it was a freak accidental opening; a case of tampering; OR did somebody buy a $2 can of baking powder, open it, use a couple teaspoons for their cake, close it back up and take it to Wal-Mart as a return? As this was Wal-Mart, I'm voting for the latter because that place is generally filled with weird, sad people. This story is exactly why I HATE shopping at Wal-Mart and why now, for the 4,000,001th time, I am vowing never to go back. I had to stop my baking, run to Publix (which fortunately is a 1/2 mile down the road) and buy new baking powder. The cakes look great, so the baking powder did its job.

More on the birthday party after tomorrow!

No comments: