Tuesday, September 8, 2009

a Tuesday to beat the band

Today started out as any ordinary Tuesday. If an ordinary Tuesday involves getting a crown put a tooth. And now that I write this, that means this was an extraordinary Tuesday because never in 38 years, 5 months, and 8 days, have I ever had a crown put on.

Two hours and $750 later, I left the dentist's office and called Jimmy's mom to catch up with her on my drive back to Summerville. As we chatted, my cell phone beeped, but I didn't recognize the number as Mac's school, which would be the only reason I would ever cut a phone call short.

As soon as I got off the phone, I checked my voice mail and listened to a message from the adoption agency we're using. She told me they had news and needed to speak with me. Between you and me, I had a little meltdown with another woman at the agency last week because I was getting the runaround on having our home study update done. So I was sort of expecting this woman to tell me that upon closer look, they had decided I was crazy and not worthy of adoption.

But I called back.

And she said they had a referral.

Now I must tell you that I didn't know what she was talking about. A referral for a child was supposed to be months down the road. What did she mean by "referral"? Did she mean they'd gotten a reference for me to prove I wasn't crazy after all? So I said "really?" I've learned that little maneuver from living in foreign countries. When you have no idea what's being said, you just learn how to say "really" in that appropriate language, say it at regular intervals, and everybody thinks you're following.

So I said "really" with a slight intonation to indicate a question. And she proceeded to tell me about a little boy who's around 4 years old who is available for adoption in one of their orphanages in Ethiopia.

I sputtered out "how can this be?, we haven't filed our dossier yet, our updated home study isn't done, etc, etc, etc". She said that we were the only family on their waiting list who wants this age little boy and so they wanted to give us the chance of a referral. (And she assured me that everything would progress as long as we got the dossier done as quickly as possible but within 4 months of the referral).

I was hysterical on the phone. You hear adoption stories of people waiting and waiting and waiting for their referral and every time the phone rings, they jump, hoping it's their case worker. We never got to that stage so it was more of the stereotypical husband who panics at the time the wife says it's time to go the hospital because labor has begun. I could not focus and I'm a very good focus-er. I told the lady I thought I was going to vomit and then I thought I was going to cry. She just kept saying yes, yes, yes, yes. She gave me some basic information and then asked if I'd like her to send some photos.

D-U-H!

I kept telling her to hit send, send, send right then. Then I told her I was hanging up to go check email. But wait, did she have anything else to tell me? No. Good. Hit send and I'm going to check email now.

We got 14 photos of this little boy and he is GORGEOUS! I like signs from God and I think I clearly got a lightning bolt sign when I found out what this little boy's name was. It gives me goosebumps to think about it.

In another sign from God, I was able to share the news with Jimmy immediately, which is a miracle.

I can't share any photos or details with you yet but will as soon as we are legally able. We have two weeks to make a decision as to whether to accept the referral. Which way do you think we're leaning? :)

4 comments:

Pam said...

Congratulations!!! What great news! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you that things progress quickly and you get to bring this little boy home soon!

Beau said...

I'm sooooo excited for your family!!

Kristy -Mom To 9 Blessings said...

AGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GREAT NEWS! I can't believe that you didn't e-mail me!!!!!!! Congrats! I am so excited for your family!
Blessings,
Kristy

Kristy -Mom To 9 Blessings said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.