Thursday, September 3, 2009

a day with my sick puppy

If I needed proof that it's okay to be a stay-at-home mom right now, it came today. After Mac had been asleep for a couple hours last night, he woke up with a fever of 103. So I dosed him up with some medicine to get through the night but secretly hoped that he'd wake up miraculously cured of the fever because I had a breakfast engagement and a dentist appointment. No dice.

If I were still working, I would be in Washington, DC this week and would not have been able to take care of my sick baby. Instead we spent a really quiet day together at home and going to the doctor, who assured us it was just a run-of-the-mill bug and not the dreaded swine flu.

The fever continues when the medication wears off so it's another day home tomorrow. And of course we have the long Labor Day weekend to recover so that's good.

Just now as I was putting Mac to bed, we were reading a really long book on Star Wars (54 pages but who's counting). Mac was so quiet and cuddly. We finished the book and said prayers and then he broke the spell by telling me that the way I was laying on the bed, I had all these lines on my neck. I asked whatever did he mean. He told me in no uncertain terms that they were wrinkles and that it would be best if I held my neck backwards at a very awkward angle because the wrinkles would be stretched taut.

That little ingrate.

No comments: