Sunday, August 16, 2009

on any given Saturday

Today is an exciting day at Casa Story.

...Listen for the drum roll in your head.... Ready?






We bought Mac's first pair of football cleats today!


We bought them at Dick's Sporting Goods and they have a little track that runs around the shoe department. I'm quite sure you're really not supposed to run around it, but Mac put those shoes on and he was off like a bullet. He proclaimed them to be super-fast and worthy of purchase.

This may not seem like a very big deal to you, the casual bystander. But when you have an American football-obsessed father whose first words when he held you approximately 14 seconds after you arrived into this bright world were "Go Gamecocks" (sadly, I am not kidding), you might better be able to understand how we (that's the royal we and not really me, as in I) have looked forward to this day.

You might also grasp the significance when you consider that we've lived nearly four years in a place where Mac didn't have the opportunity to play or even watch American football (other than on television and at the annual American Society game). It was all futebol, aka soccer, and quite frankly, I don't think Mac's going to make it big in the soccer world.

We are talking B-I-G deal with these cleats.

Jimmy is a little disappointed because it's flag football. I can't (as in I looked slightly into it and nothing jumped out at me) find a league that allows pads and helmets and full contact for 6 year-olds, which I personally see as a good and positive and potentially brain-saving thing. For the record, I did check two different leagues and they're both flag football for Mac's age.

So we've signed up with the Summerville Baptist Church's Upward League (or we will as of tomorrow). Thursday night we have to go to an evaluation. What do you evaluate in a 6 year-old's flag football performance? I have no idea as I'm new at this whole thing, but I shall put my game face on and plod through it along with all the other dads who will be there.

And if you decide you'd like to drop in on us on any given Saturday in the next couple months, you'll find us at the ballfield. I'll save you a seat!

1 comment:

Pam said...

Go Gamecocks!!! :)