Tuesday, August 4, 2009

a little overnighter to Myrtle Beach

On Saturday, I decided to bid on a hotel room in Myrtle Beach on priceline.com. If you know me well, you know I like to travel and I especially like the thrill of the hunt for a good travel deal and the victory when I find that deal. So I bid $75 on the highest-star rating they had for MB and got a room at the Sheraton - great location near Broadway on the Beach but not right on the beach which I thought was the only downside.

Mac and I invited my niece Hayley to go with us. I knew we'd both appreciate the company for our own reasons. She accepted so Sunday morning we were off. Our first stop upon arriving was Ripley's Aquarium. The children had a great time and were soaking wet by the time we left from the touch tanks full of sting rays and horseshoe crabs. They got even wetter when we ran to the car in the driving rain that had overtaken Myrtle Beach while we were in the aquarium.

We went straight to the hotel to check in and enjoy the indoor pool. I hate indoor pools because they're always so over-chlorinated, but boy, was I glad for one at this hotel. Nor did I mind not being right on the beach because we couldn't have enjoyed the beach if we'd wanted. There was a monsoon going on right outside. After swimming, we came back to the room to watch a little tv and bathe.

Our night outing was a round of putt-putt. Now I perhaps had bragged that I was a master at putt-putt, so they were prepared. When we first entered the putt-putt course, I heard Mac tell Hayley to focus so they could beat me. But alas, that was not in the cards as I won that game handily. Sadly for me, Hayley thought the highest score won so she placed no value on my low score and Mac told me that "this isn't about losing or winning, Mom" so my victory was really for naught.

On Sunday we putt-putted again and then ventured over to the outlet mall so I could pick up a few pieces for my new job. I promised the children that if they behaved, we'd play one last round of putt-putt. So they were on their best behavior. Sadly the woman in the Lucky Jeans store was not. I walked in to try on a pair of jeans (not for work, but because I needed a pair). Their sizes are all like men's sizes, so you have to know your waist and inseam measurements. I didn't know mine and so asked the saleswoman to help me. Our conversation went like this:

Her: What size do you wear?
Me: 6 or 8
Her: Oooohhhh. That would be a 28 or 29.
We walk over to the jean selection to look for 28s and 29s.
Her: Yeah, we don't really carry a lot in that size.

Hello???????

Finally she found some pairs that might work, and Mac and Hayley joined me in the fitting room. I tried on a 28 and a 29. Hayley's vote was for the 28s because she said they made my legs look skinnier. I explained that when your thighs are encased like sausage, of course your legs look skinnier. I decided to go with the 29s, though, because they were looser and felt better in a non-sausage sort of way and they looked halfway decent.

We concluded our trip to Myrtle Beach with yet another round of putt-putt and a trip to Pizza Hut.

So now I am putt-putted and junk fooded out completely. We had a great time, but if I don't play putt-putt for another few years, that'll be okay!

No comments: