Sunday, August 16, 2009

new things happening for everybody

Last night Mac and I attended an event for new families at his new school. Let me just tell that these people at this school are so nice.

His teacher had gallbladder surgery on Friday and knew she wouldn't be up for attending the new family event the very next night, so she called us early in the week and set up a time for us to meet her on Thursday.

Why did she do this? Because all the children in Mac's class went to this school last year. She already knows all of them and they know her, so she wanted Mac to recognize one face at the Back to School Bash that we'll be attending tomorrow night. How nice is that?

We'll attend this event tomorrow night where we'll buy PE and field trip clothes and have a little assembly in the gym.

Tomorrow is also important because I start my new J-O-B. I'll be working as a financial auditor with the Merida Initiative of the State Department's International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Bureau. These are the folks I worked with in Brazil and I love the work. It's interesting and so different from anything I've ever done or have personal knowledge of since I've never used or trafficked drugs or had the occasion to get to know any law enforcement types other than as neighbors and friends.

I was so excited about this job when it was first offered to me, but that excitement has tapered off to a little itty bitty ember. I am so stressed about working and being there for Mac and not having to park him in the after-school program too often.

Before you start in on me, I know there are millions of single working moms who do this every single day of their lives and they don't complain. My new title of geographically single working mom is very new to me and I'm finding it all a little daunting. But don't you worry. I always tell Mac to "buck up, Buttercup" so consider this Buttercup bucked!

No comments: