Tuesday, October 27, 2015

party planning and basketball tournaments

Tomorrow Mac leaves for a school basketball tournament near Sao Paulo and will be gone until Saturday night.  The tournament engages kids from seven other international schools in Brazil so there's a chance he could run into some old friends from Sao Paulo or Brasilia.  How crazy would that be?

He's playing on the equivalent of the JV team and he thinks it's a pretty big deal that he got selected for the travel team with the 8th and 9th graders. He hopes to play some, but there are no guarantees since he's one of the younger players.  I, of course, just hope he behaves and has fun and brushes his teeth and doesn't get sick and eats enough food and is warm enough and changes his underwear and remembers to text me once a day so I know he's still alive and remembers to shower.  That's all.

In the meantime, Jimmy and I are hosting a party to celebrate Halloween and Jimmy's recent promotion into the Senior Foreign Service.  Halloween was BIG in Colombia and we got swept up into Halloween fever so we're excited to have the party.  We're having a costume contest, we've hired a DJ - a first for me and I learned so much about the process - and I've contracted some secret entertainment.  More will be coming on that later!  Unfortunately we're still waiting for the chef's background check to be completed so I am preparing the food.  Big, humongous sigh on that front.  Did you hear it where you live?  I would do just about anything for a Costco right now.

After the Friday night adults-only Halloween party, we will host the children from the consulate at the residence for a trunk or treat party on Saturday afternoon.  I'm not too involved in that party except to provide bobbing for apples and some candy.  The families are each decorating tables for the trunk or treat and I know the children will have fun.

Photos from Halloween and the basketball tournament will be forthcoming.  We hope you ghosts and goblins and witches and ghouls will all have a spooktacular weekend.  Be safe!

No comments: