Thursday, October 22, 2015

my little drummer boy

If we're friends on Facebook, you'll know that I was so happy Mac chose to play drums in the school band because that meant no take-home instrument.  And if you can't take home your instrument, then you don't have to practice your instrument.

Score one for Mom's ears and her nerves.

(For the record, I have endured piano and violin lessons and if Mac had demonstrated any sort of mastery or even basic interest really in either of those instruments, I would have gladly enforced continued instruction.  There was no mastery whatsoever.  A lot of fighting but not one iota of mastery.  In fact, there was negative interest.  It really was like a death march every single week.)

So the drums rolled around and he has loved it.  He has a set of drum sticks at home so he does beat on some stuff, but I don't really ever hear him practicing.

First quarter report cards came out at the beginning of October. His British band teacher wrote that "Mac has been mostly playing on the Drum Kit, and I have given him moderate challenges that have brought him tantalisingly close to getting his music perfectly right. He just needs to get more time on a drum kit, and I have suggested that he find a way of arranging to have a kit at home to practise. He would certainly play at home, and I would encourage him to have this sooner than later."

I wasn't sure of Mac's mad drumming skills even with this sales pitch, so I was pleasantly surprised to witness Mac in the beginner band perform at parent-teacher conferences. You need to either watch the whole thing or fast-forward to the end to see Mac's big finish.
(Mac is on the drum set in the back on the right wearing the hat.  This was naturally right after the school sent out a notice that there was a case of head lice in the 7th grade.  When I admonished Mac for wearing someone else's hat, he said it the teacher's and the teacher doesn't have hair so he couldn't have lice.)

Hats off to the little drummer boy!

No comments: