Monday, January 19, 2015

Random Musings

1.  Yesterday morning Mac got dressed for church, wearing a polo shirt and his blue blazer. (Up until yesterday, he has never wanted to wear anything to church but jeans and a wrinkly shirt.)  He also had his hair fixed. Not just combed, but fixed. I told him the polo didn't look right and that he really needed to wear a long-sleeved shirt under the blazer. Without argument, he changed into an appropriate shirt and put the blazer back on, fixed his hair again and away we went to church. 

He also told me we needed to go to the mall because he needs new jeans and more nice shirts "like Dad wears". 

Um, what?

This odd behavior, coupled with the fact that he is wearing jeans to school at least 3 days a week instead of wearing basketball pants every single day, is worrisome. The times, they are a'changing. 

2.  Are you watching Parenthood?  I've caught up on the last 2 weeks' worth and I think it's the best season yet. 

Most poignant line from two weeks' ago?  An emotional Grandmother Camille giving pregnant granddaughter Amber advice at Amber's baby shower (which took place in the hospital cafeteria because Grandpa had a major heart attack - do NOT kill off Zeke Braverman, please.  I can't stand it) -  "Life is short You cannot know how impossibly fast it goes by.  So enjoy this baby. Cherish every moment."  Wow, is she right or what?

Best parts from this week's episode?  Sara said yes to Hank's sweet, sweet proposal and profession of love. I love them together. And the other best part?  Julia and Joel are back together. Sweet Joel has been persistent and it paid off. Oh wait. There's another best part. Adam reconsidered and is staying in The Luncheonette with Crosby. I love Crosby, who is played by Dax Shepherd, who I believe I love, too. At least I love him on the commercials he makes for Samsung with his wife. 

I'm devastated that there are only 2 episodes left. Whatever will I do without the Bravermans??

3.  We have had exactly one two-hour snow delay. I am so bummed. If we could've had half of last year's snow this year, I would've had at least 3 or 4 snow days by now. There's no rest for the weary. 

4.  The beef burgundy from America's Test Kitchen was excellent. Super rich but so extraordinarily good. 

5.  This week's two recipes from the cookbook are split-pea soup and pasta marinara. Nothing stellar, nothing complicated, but I can do it ahead and pull it out after work. 

6.  Mac has chosen tonight's menu: cheeseburgers cooked on the panini grill he received for Christmas and oven onion rings from ATK cookbook. 

7. Last week, I took a State Department night class on managing real estate overseas. Jimmy tried to serve Mac leftovers, but that kid just hates leftovers. Where did that come from?  That's clearly a nature over nurture thing because, as our kid, he should totally love eating leftovers.  He either better love to cook or marry someone who does. 

Anyway Jimmy, frustrated, ran to the grocery store and bought a 12-pack of ramen noodles so Mac could eat ramen if he didn't want real food. A 12-pack. Of ramen noodles. Like we live in a frat house. 

He came home and Mac put up the ramen. Jimmy was later looking for something, pulled the ramen out and put the Gigantor pack on a bench we have under a dining room window.

Well guess who got into the ramen the next day?  This is rhetorical if we're Facebook friends where you might have seen the video. Young Leo apparently went on a ramen bender and got into 7 of the 12 packs.
 
He pooped and peed like nobody's business for 2 days after. 

8.  I weighed Leo yesterday in anticipation of his vet appointment next weekend. He's gained 2 pounds in 6 months. The vet is going to read us the riot act. I was thinking of putting him on a crash diet but he starts whining and I can't resist slipping him some turkey or cheese. Like I said, we're going to be in big trouble next weekend. 

9.  Finally, on the occasion of MLK Day, I'd like to share one of my favorite MLK quotes:


Let's practice, seek out and celebrate love and light, people!

1 comment:

Dena Drislan who still awaits chap. 1 said...

A great healthy (and he can have as much as he wants) snack for Leo is green beans!! My girls love them. Just make sure to got low or no sodium.