Monday, January 12, 2015

America's Test Kitchen

After Christmas I gifted myself The Complete America's Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook, which was on sale at Costco and features every recipe cooked on the TV show from 2001 to present. 

I've owned another America's Test Kitchen cookbook since about 2006 when it was gifted to me by a dear friend and these recipes turn out every single time. Without fail. They are the best. 

I've decided to try two new recipes a week from the cookbook. This week is Mexican tortilla soup and boeuf bourguignon (although I'm using the slow cooker recipe and not the "real" version so it's probably best to just call it beef burgundy.)

I made the tortilla soup yesterday and just added the cooked chicken tonight when I re-heated it. I even made the crispy tortilla strips in the oven using corn tortillas like the recipe called for. The soup base was very thin and I was nervous that my pickier eater would hate it and that it wouldn't be substantial enough for Jimmy. 

Mac ate 3 bowls full. He loved it and raved on and on about it. He even liked the baked tortilla strip. It was sort of like a Christmas miracle in January.  Jimmy and I finished off what Mac didn't eat. The recipe said it makes 6 servings which equates to 3 for hefty cinch sacks like us. 

Today after work I made the beef burgundy which is happily cooking in the crock pot overnight. Mac told me that  the smells coming from the crock pot were the most divine he'd ever smelled. (He was in a particularly great mood today after school.)  I'll refrigerate it all in the morning and finish it off tomorrow after work. Stay tuned.

In the meantime I instructed Mac to pick out one recipe for next week. He came back all excited and said he'd found the best section of the whole cookbook and he knew what he wanted to cook. I asked it it was from the Mexican section or the Italian one. 

Wrong on both fronts. 

It was the cookie section. 

1 comment:

Pam said...

I have several of their cookbooks, and their recipes never let me down either! My favorite is the Best 30-minute Recipes one.