Friday, November 14, 2014

11-13-14

In other Metro-riding news...

I am fascinated by how millennial-generation men dress.  They make a fashion statement very unique to their age bracket. 

You may be a millennial man if you wear the following (by my observation on the Washington, DC Metro for the last month):  

Skinny suit pants, no cuff, and hemmed to barely skim the top of your shoe. 

A suit jacket that always looks a little snug to me. You may, but this is not a definite, also have a dress shirt on that's a little too snug as evidenced by the pulled buttons. Regardless, you wear a tighter, fitted dress shirt. 


You do not wear Johnston and Murphy or Florsheim dress shoes. There's nary a wingtip in sight. And you definitely aren't bothered by the quaint notion of wearing black shoes with a dark suit. You invariably wear brown shoes with a long pointy toe that may curl up slightly (see top picture) with your skinny suit. There may be buckles involved but rarely do I see laces. 


You generally have scruffy facial hair. I'm not sure what the purpose of that is. You still have to groom it and I would assume it takes longer to keep it tidy than to just shave it all off. 

Your fingers are permanently attached to an iPhone and I believe earbuds grow from your ears. You either are conducting all sorts of business all the time or you play a mean game of Candy Crush. 

For the next month I will study millennial women as part of my anthropological discourse. 




No comments: