Wednesday, July 23, 2014

7-21-14

Today I took Mac and two of his friends to a Charleston River Dogs baseball game. It must have been a rain make-up because who schedules baseball games for noon on a Monday?  

There was nobody at the game so we spread out and stretched out. 

I eventually moved up higher to get in the  shade. I halfway paid attention to the game and halfway paid attention to Facebook and emails. 

At some point, I noticed the mascot Charlie walking up the aisle towards me. 
He stopped right by me and motioned that he wanted to come past me on my row. So I stood up to let him pass by and he sat a seat or two down from me (with that green bag). 

I tried to make one-sided small talk with him but he was soon swarmed by children who were climbing on and around him. I imagine Big Bird has the same problem if he ever walks away from Sesame Street. At some point I noticed that the lady with the video camera was standing there. A lightbulb went on and I realized Charlie wasn't just hanging out in the shade to cool off. The children were trying to get into Charlie's green bag, but the camera lady told them to not touch it, that it was for a promotion. A big lightbulb went on then, but I couldn't excuse myself to go to the restroom without looking like a spoilsport. 

At the next inning change, I heard the announcer say "Now it's time for the Joann Fabric Sweetheart of the Game. Let's look for Charlie and see who he's chosen as his sweetheart."  

Oh Lord, help me. 

I didn't need to look for Charlie because he was sitting right next to me making beating heart hand gestures. So I made heart gestures back at him and he slid over and put his furry arm around me. I believe it was at this point that I realized the lady was filming and that we were on the big screen. It was also around this time that Mac realized it was me on the screen and he came running up the stands to say "Charlie, that's my mom!"  

So I came home with a goody bag from Joann's and the memory of making the Jumbotron. All the stuff in the bag screams middle-aged woman, which is why I'm sure I was selected. A younger woman wouldn't have been nearly as excited about the fabulous sewing kit as I was (really it's the most comprehensive sewing kit I've ever seen and sure beats my ziploc bag of sewing supplies) and an older woman would've been insulted that the yarn was "super value", ie not the best quality. 

It was a fun day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gotta love minor league games! I might need to re-blog this on my blog. Or link to it... so I can remember it always. Never again will such a mascot/promotion event unfold before my eyes without me thinking of you!
-Elizabeth