Friday, February 17, 2012

opinions at the barbershop

This afternoon I took Mac to the barber shop for his quarterly haircut. We were really 3 days too late for the haircut because school pictures were taken on Tuesday. I didn't know that until it was too late on Monday evening to take him to the barbershop. He will be captured forever in this year's school photos as looking like a street urchin.

I miss the days when we went to get his haircut and I could instruct the stylist on exactly what to do. Those days are a distant memory. Today, I instructed the stylist to cut one way and Mac immediately said no. Then I suggested something else and Mac said no. When I suggested that the man cut more off the back, Mac demanded to have the mirror held up behind him so he could see for himself what it looked like and could determine if he wanted more cut.

The end result is that he really has a smashing haircut that we're both happy with. I'm just not so sure about this raising a child who's independent and assertive.

No comments: