Thursday, February 21, 2013

Trips to Take Before You're Twelve

This afternoon on the shuttle ride home from work, I was flipping through the latest issue of Travel + Leisure magazine which landed on my desk today.  I was very interested to come across the article titled "12 Trips to Take Before You're Twelve".

Now by the time I was twelve, I could count the number of states I'd visited on one hand.  No need to take the glove off the other hand to use those digits.

Mac, on the other hand, is living a very charmed life by nearly anybody's standards. So I was interested to read where he "must" travel in the next 21 months.

According to T+L, every child should visit the following before age 12:

1.  Costa Rica's rain forest (pretty sure this one isn't going to happen for young Mac. He needs something to look forward to, right?)

2.  Skiing in Colorado (there's an outside chance this could happen.  Maybe.)

3.  Kauai (check the box.  Twice.)

4.  Disney Done Right (I'm pretty sure we didn't "do it right" per T+L's standards, but we've done it enough.)

5.  Alaska's Inside Package (this is Mac's all-time dream trip. I would love to make this happen sooner rather than later.)

6.  Maine Family Camp (pretty sure we can scratch this off the list.)

7.  A Great Urban Getaway in NYC, Washington, DC, and Chicago (He's done NYC and DC and we'll add Chi-Town at some point since that's one of my favorite big cities in the world.)

8.  The Annual Destination (that's a gimme for Mac - it's Folly Beach.  We'd have a mutiny on our hands if we skipped that.)

9.  Yellowstone Adventure (July 2013 or bust!)

10.  Affordable Atlantis (Mac has no memory of this but we went to the aquarium at Atlantis on a cruise stop when Mac was 2.  Technically, I believe we can check this box.)

11.  Colonial Williamsburg (I'm nearly 42 and I've never been there, but since we'll be in DC for the next 2 years, maybe we'll make a trip to check this box.)

12.  Ultimate Road Trips to include the Florida Keys, Utah's National Parks, and Olympic National Park in Washington (we intend to do some version of the Great American Road Trip this summer but it won't involve any of those places.)

Clearly we've got miles to go before we sleep....


1 comment:

Karol anne said...

Can't believe y'all will be in DC! So exciting!!