Friday, February 8, 2013

Mac is home from school camp!

I picked up Mac this afternoon from his school camp. This year he went for 2 nights and 3 days to the town of Tobia.  (Tobia is where I had my near-death whitewater rafting experience nearly two years ago.  It is only because they took rafting off the camp agenda last year that I allowed Mac to go this year. Seriously.)

But I digress.  I know you don't want to hear - again - about my neurotic paranoia.

Anyway, I picked him up and he was so chatty and talkative. Here are my four favorite comments from the car ride home:

1.  "I didn't use the soap you sent when I took a shower. The water came out in such a trickle that there was no need to try to use soap."

(Parental note:  The parent in me is just glad that he actually got in the shower.  And they did swim in a pool a couple times, so he must have been relatively clean.  Right?)

2.  "The hotel where we stayed the second night was so cheap.  I dropped something under the bed and got on the floor to get it out and the wooden slats that held up the bed weren't long enough to go across the whole frame.  They didn't even buy long enough boards at that hotel."

(Parental note:  Having stayed in this hotel for two nights on the ill-fated trip, I know exactly what he's talking about. I'm pretty sure it doesn't even rate half a star.)

3.  "Did you know that the bus has a bathroom on it??????? I used it twice. It was like an airplane bathroom, but it was cool.

(Parental note:  Yuck.  Yuck.  Yuck.)

4.  "We had to take a survey at the end of the trip.  One of the questions was whether camp had made us try something that we thought we'd never try.  I answered "definitely". I would NEVER have tasted blackberry jam ever. And it was delicious."

(Parental note:  One day you're going to regret having missed years' worth of delicious food because you were so sure it would be horrible.)

Mac is now freshly showered and clothes are in the washing machine. Check the box for another successful camp trip!

No comments: