Saturday, September 8, 2012

random musings on a Saturday afternoon...

1.  The Gamecocks have won two weeks in a row and that makes the boys in my house very happy.

2.  Today Jimmy and Mac watched the game with an American friend here who's not a Gamecock fan, but who is sympathetic to those who are.  I joined them at halftime and enjoyed a great lunch prepared by Art and his wife - pulled pork with a sauce that tasted like home and the most wonderful potato salad.

3.  I love people who can make delicious potato salad.  I have attempted to make potato salad once.  I overcooked the potatoes and it was more like mashed potato salad.

4.  This week I got an email from Mac's teacher that read as follows:
     "We had a discussion in PSHE (Personal, Social and Health Education, Citizenship & Religious Education) today about rules.  We started out by covering rules we'd broken and progressed to rules that we think have life or death style consequences… Your son put his hand up to give me one of the "life or death ones". His answer -  Not yelling over the top of my Mum when she's talking…  Maybe I need to start employing some of your consequences!"

    Is it bad for your child's teacher to think he's being raised by an ogre?

5.  In huge news, Mac was elected Key Stage 2 Vice-Captain of Griffin House at his school.  He had to give a 'why you should elect me speech' that we worked on the night before the big election.  We discussed speaking from the heart and apparently he took that message to heart because he changed the speech on the fly to talk about sportsmanship.  I have no idea what being a house vice-captain involves - and I'm not sure that Mac does either.  He know he gets a pin to wear on his dress uniform and he's inordinately happy about that.  We're so proud of him and what he's accomplished.

6.  Today we rolled the dice on fish guardianship... again.  We bought two goldfish-esque sort of fish, a fancy tank with a pump and some food.  We just put them in the water in the tank after trying to get the water just right, and there's not a lot of activity going on.  We may break a record for fastest fish kill ever.  Their names -for the moment - are Lucky and Goldy.  "Lucky" might be a misnomer.  Wish us luck.

7.  Work is work.  I'm pretty tired of stress and mean, demanding people.  When I played tennis 4 days a week, nobody was mean and demanding.  Sigh.

8.  In breaking news, Mac turned the light off on the fish tank and the fish immediately sprang into action.  They're not dead yet.

Hope you're having a great weekend!
      




1 comment:

My Kitchen Bucket List said...

Your son's teacher doesn't think he's being raised by an ogre. She just wants tips on how to get the kids in her class to think talking over the top of her will have life or death consequences! :)