Thursday, July 7, 2011

NYR 7-1-11 - airport travel, aka the thing that causes me a lot of stress

Today Mac and I flew home for the summer. I love air travel and airports and layovers. What I don't love is the often-surly people who work for airlines who get my trips off to bad starts and who cause my trips to end on bad notes.

Because we used frequent-flyer miles for this trip, we flew Delta.

Normally Delta causes me a lot of grief. A. LOT. Mucho. Muito. Beaucoup.

So I went to the airport expecting everything to fall apart (especially after the disaster that quickly became our "quick" jaunt home in March).

I am very, very happy to report that I was pleasantly surprised. Everything worked like clockwork. We didn't wait in long lines, nobody said our underweight luggage was overweight, and the plane from Bogota to Atlanta left on time.

We also got very lucky in our seating. We knew that one of Mac's closest friends in Bogota was going to be traveling with his family so we were prepared to ask the third person on our row to switch seats with Mac's friend so they could sit together. We got a 20-ish year-old kid with a lot of piercings who readily agreed to switch. Dude, it's all tranquilo. We are on the return flight out of ATL with them in August, so hopefully our seatmate switch luck will continue.

So Mac and his friend entertained each other (and likely bothered everyone around us) for 4+ hours to ATL , we all got through Immigration and Customs together, rechecked our bags and hit up TSA once more before saying our goodbyes until mid-August. Mac and I found our next gate, boarded and left on time for our final destination.

Smooth sailing.

Thank you very much Delta; I am truly thankful.

No comments: