Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Tuesday musings

1. Did you read today that American Airlines is going to start charging $8 for using the blanket and pillow on domestic flights and on international flights longer than 2hours? Are you kidding me? It's not enough that I have to pay to bring my clothes along on the trip, but now I have to pay to use a blanket that leaves blue lint all over my clothes and a pillow that constantly falls on the floor? I'd much prefer them jack up the price of the ticket by $35 to cover luggage and a blanket than nickel and dime me for everything. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they go to the European method of public toilets and make you pay before you use the bathroom. I really wish I could boycott airline travel for good.

2. Mac's teacher got to go to the John Mayer concert last night and she got backstage passes and her photo taken with JM. I am jealous.

3. We leave for Disney World on Thursday. We'll spend a couple days hanging out with Mac's good friend here in SC (who will be in Florida while his parents attend a conference) and then we'll spend three days with one of Mac's best friends (and his parents who were very good friends to us) from Sao Paulo. I know Disney World is the happiest place on earth. Blah, blah, blah. A Disney vacation stresses me. I'm trying to think happy, happy, happy.

4. Before our road trip, I took the old Corolla in for a tune-up today. I decided to try out the new AAA Car Care Center near my house today and boy, am I liking their service. They have internet computers; a drink station with coffee, tea, and hot chocolate; tv; a children's playroom, etc. When they discovered some things that needed to be addressed and would take more time than they obviously wanted me in their nice waiting area, they drove me home and promised to pick me up again in time to get Mac from his after-school club. Love this service.

5. I cannot stop eating Valentine chocolate. What is wrong with me?

6. I babysat my 1 year-old and 3 year-old nephews this weekend and Lord, have sweet mercy on me, was it hard. You forget how much energy little ones require. I moved one vase out of the path of destruction and considered my house babyproofed.

And it was.

Except for the open fireplace; the flat-screen tv at baby height; the Wii remotes right there in plain view; the tall reading lamp that was begging to be pulled over; the armchairs that swivel and cause a baby to fall over if he's using them to stand up; blinds that are perfect for slapping and banging; the kitchen trash can that wants to be tipped over; the toilet paper in the bathroom that is so much fun to unroll; the cookbook bookshelf that's at the right height to push all the books to the back, thereby messing up your type A aunt's precision line-up of books; the dvd shelves where if you touch one dvd the wrong way, they all fall out of the shelf on the floor.

You get the picture.

No comments: