Sunday, July 19, 2009

only 9 more days to go in the "month of fun"

Jimmy is with us for just 9 more days before he heads to the land of Pashto. Our so-called "month of fun" is nearly over and I just can't believe it.

We've packed a lot in - 8 days in Disney World with great friends, a week at Folly Beach with family, movies, bowling, eating (lots), a move into our new rental house...

Our next 9 days will include more friends, more family, moving trucks arriving, a grown-up night away in Charleston at a "fancy" hotel and dining at "fancy" restaurants that don't have children's menus, eye doctors, dentists, new eyeglasses made, a tour of Mac's new school, wills and power of attorneys to be executed, etc. Does the list end? I guess it will on July 28 whether it's all done or not.

When I let myself think about Jimmy going, I feel overwhelmed, so I just don't think about it too much. We're clearly a case of the sum of the parts being greater than the parts on their own. But a year doesn't last forever and that's what I have to remind myself of in those moments when I allow myself to go dark.

We don't have internet at home yet and won't have it installed until a week from tomorrow. Apparently Time Warner Cable is super-busy and can't fit us into their schedule. I say hire more people but they say be patient. Unless we come back to McDonald's to use their Wi-Fi (which feels a little weird and smells a little greasy), postings will resume after next Monday. Stay tuned....

3 comments:

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

I know it's going by too fast for all three of you. Clearly, you aren't renting in the "MC" if you're able to get Time Warner Cable. What I wouldn't give for some options!

KatiePerk said...

I just found your blog and find your adventures quite amazing. I also live in South Carolina and can answer any questions. I was a concierge in Charleston for several years so I had to learn the lay of the land! Good luck with the internet! Hope your vacation was fun!

Kent Kirschner said...

Susan and James:

Wow, just got word from my best friend in the world that you all will be separated for a year and by an ocean and some mountains, and deserts and the like. That is harsh indeed. My brother is actually returning from the same spot in a couple of weeks, fingers crossed, so our family can identify with your pain. The year, for us anyway, has gone by pretty fast but I'm sure for my brother and his wife the same is probably not to be said.

I find it heart rending that two of the people that I love most in the world are each doing their small part to ensure the American way of life not only for us but for the entire world. Your conviction about the appropriate human behavior and expectation of liberty is to be admired and I envy you your ardor and determination. Both great men, and certainly great women supporting them.

I'm very sorry that we haven't maintained closer contact over the years but there is lots in between us. That being said, my esteem and love for you both goes undiminished and I'm anxious for the day when we can all reunite to catch up on the past 1456 and some odd days that have separated us.

Thanks for keeping us all updated on the comings and goings. And Godspeed.

Kent