Friday, July 31, 2009

career counseling

Since Jimmy left on Tuesday, Mac and I have been watching entirely too much Discovery Channel. You know those shows I'm talking about, like Ice Loggers and Swamp Loggers and Deadliest Catch? We also added Whale Wars on Animal Planet to our line-up tonight. Definitely making up for lost television time from the last few years.

Watching these shows has got us talking about all sorts of careers that we just didn't know existed. Really, did you know before watching Whale Wars that there are people who work on a ship called the Sea Shepherd who fight big whaling ships in the Antarctic? We are talking hand-to-hand combat almost. I have to find out when the next episode comes on to see how this latest whale war ends. I now understand why people have DVRs.

So tonight Mac started a discussion about going to college and his future career. The conversation went something like this:

M: I wonder where I'll go to college. Maybe Texas or Los Angeles.
Me: If your father has anything to say about it, you'll go to Carolina.
M: I could go to Australia.
Me: You could, but that would be a long flight home to come see your mom.
M: Yeah, or maybe I'll go to Alaska.
(Mac is currently obsessed with Alaska).
Me: Yeah maybe, but I'm not sure what sort of schools they have there. I guess where you'll go will depend on what you want to be. Because you should go to a school that specializes in whatever you think you want to be.
M: I could be an army guy.
*PAUSE*
M: But army guys get shot at.
*PAUSE*
M: Or maybe I could be a police officer.
*PAUSE*
M: But bad guys carry pistols and they shoot at police officers.
*PAUSE*
M: I think I'll work at a hotel.
Me: Good idea. What do you think you'd like to do at a hotel?
M: I'd like to do room service.
Me: That's interesting. You mean you'd like to be the one who serves room service?
M: No, I think I'd like to own the hotel.
(Obviously and unbeknownst to me, "doing" room service is equivalent to owning the hotel where said room service takes place.)
Me: Even better. But that costs a lot of money.
M: I won't buy a hotel. I'll build a hotel.
(Clearly we need to switch the television from Discovery to HGTV so he can see how much building even a house costs.)

Me: Well that sounds good. What do you think you'd name it?
M: Big Mac's Hotel.

So there you have it. We have career counseled at Casa Story at the tender age of 6. We've ruled out anything that involves getting shot at, we've recognized an entrepreneurial spirit, and we want our business' name to reflect the entrepreneur behind it. My job is done.

No comments: