Thursday, July 30, 2009

Jimmy has arrived in Kabul

After a bumpy flight from Charleston to Atlanta, a LLLOOONNNNGGG but comfortable in business class flight from Atlanta to Dubai, an overnight in a hotel in Dubai, and a hop from Dubai on a plane piloted by a Spaniard, Jimmy has arrived in Kabul. He just Skyped from his hooch and let me tell you, deluxe accommodations the hooch is not! It comes equipped with metal bunk beds (which he's sharing with another guy who also just flew in), a bathroom, a tv and dvd, and that's about it. He panned the laptop around so I could see it, but honestly, if he'd been sitting at a different angle, I probably could have seen the whole thing from his webcam. Our rental house is not large by any stretch of the imagination, and he said the entire hooch could fit in our master bedroom.

He's off to the cafeteria or mess hall or whatever they call it to eat dinner. Tomorrow night is "Surf and Turf Night" which apparently is a big draw, but he wasn't sure what tonight's feature was. It almost sounds like he's on vacation.

I can't report a lot of Jimmy's goings-on on the blog, but he did tell me I could tell you about the hooch. I will report as I can, but he's on Facebook and also has his Yahoo account so please keep in touch with him. He would love to hear what you're up to!

As for Mac and me, we continue to get settled in. Yesterday we met with the school nurse to discuss Mac's "allergy plan". Boy, was it all official. They really take allergies seriously. That spurred me on to make his appointment for the pecan open food challenge which will occur next Tuesday. He believes that the future of his beloved Nintendo DSi is in jeopardy if doesn't eat the pecans so hopefully there will be no outbursts at the allergist's office worthy of Best Dramatic Performance Oscar awards.

I thought my new job was supposed to start on Monday but the start date has been pushed back to August 17, which is great as that gives me more time with Mac before he starts school on the 20th. And it also gives me time to get our sea shipment unpacked. We got news yesterday that the shipment had arrived in Miami and had cleared customs. The warehouse lady called and asked for James. When I told her that James was out of the country already, she said she had to get his authorization to release the shipment to me. WHAT? Doesn't she know I have his power of attorney that allows me to do anything and everything I want to do???? And surely that includes receiving MY household effects?!??! Fortunately she reached Jimmy in Dubai and he emailed his authorization.

Yesterday afternoon, Mac and I went to see the movie "G Force" with my niece and nephew. When we came out of the theater, it was pouring down rain and we had to make a run for the car. I was carrying Jackson and told Mac and Hayley to hold hands together and to hold my hand as we ran. They decided we should be the G Force characters and that we'd never leave a man behind. Hayley got to be Juarez (the only girl guinea pig), Mac was Blaster (the cool, hip guinea pig), Jackson was Darwin (the smartest one) and I got to be Hurley, who was the fat pet store hamster with the big hair. Clearly they don't recognize my power anymore than the warehouse lady....

1 comment:

Kristy -Mom To 9 Blessings said...

It's great hearing from you. I love following your blog! Our prayers are with your family, near and far. It makes me think of all of the times Steve was away back in his Navy days, especially during the Persian Gulf stuff. Not fun....and definitely no e-mails, cell phones, and skype back then. Anything new on the adoption front?
Love,
Kristy