Friday, July 10, 2015

nicest taxi driver in the world

I am flying back to South Carolina tonight to spend some time before bringing Mac and Leo to Rio.  I thought it would be a good idea to get a manicure and pedicure today so my fingers and toes would look good for the trip.  I knew I could pay by credit card at the salon but I completely forgot about taxi money to and from as well as tips for the salon attendants when I handed all my cash over to Jimmy last night before we grabbed a quick supper on the way home from the Venezuela National Day event.

Naturally, I remembered I needed cash after he'd paid the dinner bill.  I scrambled this morning, pulling paper and coin money from any source possible.  I knew I had enough for at least one taxi ride and tips, so I took the taxi to the salon and figured I could walk home if necessary.

Fingers and toes done, I plugged in my apartment address into Google Maps on my phone, studied the map in the salon and thought I had it all figured out so that I could put the phone up (avoiding potential robbery!) and walk home.  

Except when I exited the building, I got all confused.  I literally think I just kept walking in bigger and bigger circles.  I would have so lost The Amazing Race with that clueless performance.

I decided I needed to grab a cab and at least get as close as possible as I could to the apartment.  I knew if the taxi could get me out of the urban jungle so I could at least see the lake, I could find my way home by walking around the lake.

I ended up with the nicest taxi driver in the world.  I gave him my address, but explained I only had so much money and would tell him when to stop (while watching the meter) so I could get out.  He told me it was no problem - he'd take me even if I didn't have enough money.  What a gem.

We started talking and it turns out he worked for Chevron for 16 years and because of his love for this company and how he was treated there, he has a real love for Americans.  He spoke wonderful English and we chatted the cab ride away.  His wife called while I was in the cab and I heard him tell her that he couldn't speak right then because he had an American in the car and he needed to speak with me instead.  Adorable. 

And I had enough cash to pay and tip him, even if a lot of it was in coins!  I am winning today!

No comments: