Friday, September 20, 2013

random musings on a Friday afternoon

1.  This temporary apartment is making me crazy.  It really is a State Department ghetto.  We have escaped staying here for 15 years and I hope it's at least another 15 years before we have to stay here again.

2.  Our lease at the new apartment starts on October 7.  We are starting the move on that day and will try to get the apartment organized during the week so that we start sleeping there on October 11.  Jimmy's just found out he's traveling out of the country that week so I'm even more grateful that my mom had already agreed to come and help me.  I would not be able to do it without her.

3.  The weather has been so incredibly beautiful this week.  Overnight temps down in the 50s and 60s but up into the 70s and 80s during the day.  I love it.  I hope it's as beautiful wherever you are.

4.  I'm going to a baby shower this afternoon.  I cannot tell you the last baby shower I went to (that wasn't at work).  It's been years.  That happens when you reach a certain age and most of your friends are past birthing babies.  I wonder if we'll play baby shower party games?

5.  Did I mention how bad the basement parking area of the State Department ghetto smells?  When Mac and I come down in the mornings to drive to school, as soon as the elevator door opens, we can tell if the garbage truck needs to come because it smells rotten more often than not.  We have to run out to the car, trying not to breathe too heavily.  That smell gets stuck on your nose hairs and you can't get rid of it.  It's disgusting.  As soon as we leave the garage, we open the windows, no matter how cold it is, to air out the car and our nose hairs.

6.  While I go to the baby shower, Jimmy and Mac are going to the Nationals baseball game.  Talk about gender stereotypes.

7.  Mac seems to be enjoying school.  I don't think he's made a ton of friends - we hear about the same few over and over - but that's okay.  I'm assuming these boys are from nice families and aren't setting up a meth lab in their bathrooms, so I hope it's all good.

8.  The Library of Congress is hosting its annual Book Festival on the National Mall this weekend.  I remember taking Mac to that when he was a toddler and we lived in Baltimore.  He got to see Clifford the Big Red Dog which was the highlight of his life up until that point.  We're planning to go again, but I don't think a Clifford sighting will elicit the same reaction.

Happy Weekend Friends!

1 comment:

The Stone Rabbit said...

I know what you mean about baby showers, seems I don't get many invitations to those anymore. . .We've never stayed at the State Department ghetto, and hope we never do. Yours is not the first bad review of heard of the place. So glad your Mom is there to help! Looking like a 50/50 chance we will end-up in DC next. I'm not really looking forward to that, but it would be nice at least to overlap with you guys a little bit. I'm certain that Mac has great taste in friends; no worries Mom. :)