Friday, July 20, 2012

my summer vacation

Today marks the first day of my summer vacation.  And after the week I've had at work, this day could not come a moment too soon.

Because of poor planning on my part, I didn't hop on a plane this morning for South Carolina.  I didn't realize in February when I bought my ticket that July 20 is Colombian Independence Day.  And I didn't realize that because last year on July 20, I was already on my summer vacation in South Carolina because I wasn't involved in this pesky thing called A JOB.

I called Delta last week to see if I could change my ticket to Friday.  "Sure, no problem", the lady said.  "That'll just cost $900 for the change in fare and $250 for the international flight change fee."  Um... how about no?

If you'll allow me to digress for a moment, why does an airline have to charge that much money if I have already have a ticket and there are seats available on the other flight that I want?  It's so infuriating.  

So anyway, I hosted book club last night without worrying about an early start today.  And I'm enjoying a relaxing day of lazy packing, watching some Food Network, and reading, before Jimmy and I have a date night at Casa, which is a fairly new (and definitely new to us) restaurant here that everybody says is great.

And tomorrow... well tomorrow, I get to see my boy after 3 whole long weeks.  WOW.  Yesterday he hurt my feelings by telling me that he "might miss Daddy more than he misses me", but I'm trying to get over that.  Because I know he really didn't mean it.  Or I pretend he really didn't mean it.  Never mind, I have 5 days to get back in his best graces before we see Jimmy.

So happy summer vacation - finally - to me.  The heat and humidity are calling my name...

No comments: