Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Vacation, part 2

The second week of my summer vacation took us to NC to spend some time with Jimmy's family.  We spent the first few days with Jimmy's mom, stepdad and our dearest friends from Brasilia, who were on home leave from their current post in India.   It was such a great few days with really special friends.

When they left, Jimmy's sister and her girls came in.  There were animal sightings (bears and elk and turkeys, oh my!) and picnics in the Cataloochee Valley, go-carts rides, family dinners and more tubing in Deep Creek!

Notice Monique and Jimmy's "model poses".
Jimmy jumping into a swimming hole at Skinny Dip Falls.  The Russian judges gave a  4.5. on execution.

Dipping in Skinny Dip Falls

It's soooo cold!

The Deer Tree

On the Nantahala River


No pain, no gain.  The thighs were burning about right here.

Mac exploring.

Love these people!

Cars loaded down for a tubing adventure.

Go-carts!

Mac, the butterfly whisperer!

Bubby setting up the picnic.

Jimmy, the hunter-gatherer, went out and found us hot dogs for our impromptu picnic lunch at Deep Creek.

A boy and his tube.

Mac on Deep Creek.

Self-portrait.
Part Two of summer vacation involved conquering fears.  You may remember that last May (2011), we went river rafting in Colombia and I had what I classify as a near-death experience.  A photo captured by a friend showed this shortly after the near drowning:

I really never intended to go rafting ever again.  But I felt the need to get past this.  So we rafted the Nantahala River, which is a nice class 2 river with one class 3 rapid at the end.  

I felt compelled to buy the photo at the end of the trip.  How could I resist?  

I would like the record to reflect that in all the other pictures the outfitting company took, I was smiling and looking happy, but this was the only photo where you could see Mac so it's the one I bought.  Next time I go rafting, I'm going to paste a smile on my face the entire time!

To a great Part 2 of summer vacation and the opportunity to catch up with great friends and family, I am truly thankful!

No comments: