Sunday, November 2, 2014

11-2-14

Normally you can use the Storys as the counterargument to "everybody has it". 

Examples:

#1
Claim: Everybody has a new car. We need one, too. 

Argument:  Everybody does not have a new car. The Storys drive a 2003 Toyota Corolla that looks and sounds like it should it be condemned. We're not getting a new car. 

#2
Claim:  Everybody gets to buy new clothes every season at the fancy stores at Tysons Corner.  I need to buy new clothes every season, too. 

Argument:  Everybody does not get to buy new clothes every season at the fancy mall. I just saw Susan Story and between her vintage Gap jeans and her Costco sweater, I'm pretty sure she doesn't even know where the fancy mall is. Besides, her old car probably isn't even allowed in the parking garage at the fancy mall. 

#3
Claim: Everybody at school has an iPhone. I need an iPhone, too. 

Argument: Everybody does not have an iPhone. In fact, I know Mac has a rechargeable Tracfone that they bought at the CVS. 

Oh except, wait a minute...

In breaking news, Mac finally has an iPhone and I don't think he's the last kid on earth to get one. He's thrilled. 

This purchase today definitely goes against my oft-expressed list of "things my child will never have". Sigh. But now that I'm working and Mac is home for a bit by himself (and we don't have a home phone although we really do have a Tracfone), the time felt right. 

So you can still use our car, clothes and a million other things as your counterargument, but you may not use Mac's lack of a real smartphone. We've checked that box! 

No comments: